- Rule-Based Management
- Control the security of communications and IT events through rule or filter driven systems.
- Each rule has either an explicit ALLOW or DENY
Category Archives: Certification
Certs: Security+ Implement Security Configuration Parameters on Network Devices
- Can be Hardware or Software based
- Used to protect one network segment from another
- Deployed between areas of high and low trust – Private / Public network
- Firewall types
- Packet filter
- Circuit level gateway
- Stateful inspection
Certs: Domain Name Service (DNS) – (70-410)
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a service which resolves real-world names to Internet Protocol IP addresses. My study notes should get you started on the material covered in 70-410, however, I’d strongly recommend you download the objectives from the Microsoft website, enjoy.
Certs: 3.3 Configuring Site Level Fault Tolerance (70-412)
Hyper-V Replica is a Server 2012 & 2012 R2 feature that allows you to create a replica of a virtual machine running on Hyper-V on either of the platforms. If the primary VM fails, you can failover to the replica VM. Thus Hyper-V Replica can provide fault tolerance for a VM even if the entire host site should go offline.
Certs 1.3 – Install & Configure Network Services (Network+)
This section covers crucial network services everyone uses in today’s networks, such as DHCP, DNS & NAT.
Certs 1.2 – Network Services & Applications (Network+)
VPN – Site to Site / Host to Site / Host to Host
- IPSec – Provides authentication & data encryption – Operates at the network layer
- GRE – Generic Routing Encapsulation, encapsulates the data, operates at network layer & is a CISCO technology.
- SSL VPN – Main use is eCommerce, uses cryptography (secure authentication & communications)
- PTP / PPTP – Port 1723 UDP, Point to Point, layer 2, PPTP has been largely replaced by L2TP with IPSec.
Certs: 1.1 Network Devices (Network+)
Explain the function of the following network devices
Certs: 3.2 Recover Servers (70-412)
You have backed up your server, configured a schedule to backup your data periodically; but what happens when disaster strikes? Can you recover the server, operating system and data? Well in this post I’ll look at the recovery process and the various options available.
Certs: 3.1 Configure & Manage Backups (70-412)
The third objective domain covered by the 70-412 Microsoft exam deals with Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery. In this, the first of three posts covering this domain we take a detailed look at backups. What tools are available? What can be backed up and how? Who can perform a backup, and how is it all configured? So read on….
Certs: 1.1 Deploy & Manage Server Images (70-411)
In this, the first post covering content from the 70-411 Administering Windows Server 2012 exam, I’m going to look at deploying & managing server images using Windows Deployment Services (WDS). WDS can be used to automate the deployment of standard or custom images to servers, which can dramatically speed up deployment if you have a significant number to install. Continue reading